It's been awhile since I've posted anything about the house, so here's an update. Although we finished the interior in the spring, this update will focus on the second phase of the project. We started re-surfacing the exterior of the house, both the front and back. I've seen a number of the cedar and stucco combinations that have been used, and while they look good, I wanted to try something a little different. I saw a cedar and metal siding combination that looked like it might suit this style of architecture, so we gave it a shot. I called around and found some guys who work for Columbia Restoration (a specialist in rainscreening) and who were willing to work on the weekends over the next month.
We started by itemizing what needed to be done to achieve the desired look, starting with the frontrailing on down. We figured we might as well change the balcony membrane, and the facia. We also needed to take care of the stucco, soffet and gutter demolition, which wasn't going to be a quick job. As we pulled things apart, we inevitably found other issues that needed to be addressed. The front deck needed two joists and the facia to be replaced due to some rot. In the past, balconies were fastened from the top, with screws through the membrane (today's code calls for front mounted railing posts, which allows the deck membrane not be disturbed). Other than the front balcony rot, we found an issue with cracked stucco and water penetration at the south-east corridor of the house, which is often the most exposed corner of houses in Vancouver.